Body & Soul December 2016 Newsletter
5 great resolutions for 2017
While some people think resolutions are silly and pointless, many people believe in the 'power' of resolutions as they can be a great source of motivation for someone to make positive changes in their life. Read more...
Setting practical and realistic resolutions is the key to success. Following are some resolutions you may want to consider for 2017:
- Start each day with a good breakfast. In addition to helping fuel your body for a good start to your day, a well-balanced breakfast can boost your brain power, help reduce your risk of chronic diseases and help you achieve and maintain a healthy body weight.
- Commit to an activity. For those wishing to be more active in the New Year, it is important to commit time and effort towards an activity (i.e. daily walks or runs, squash with a friend, etc.).
- Get adequate rest. Not only is a good night's rest important for your energy and ability to function properly, but without sufficient sleep your body won't be able to make the necessary repairs after a good workout.
- Set specific short term goals. Setting short term goals allows you to see progress sooner than you would with a long-term goal, which - in the long run - helps keep you motivated and committed to pursuing your ultimate goal.
- Keep a health & fitness journal. Tracking what you eat and what you do for exercise helps to establish a routine and allows you to see progress that your body may not yet show (i.e. improvements in strength as you are able to perform more reps).
looking for a holiday gift?
Body & Soul's holiday special is back just in time for the holidays! Until December 23rd, purchase the following training packages at reduced rates:
- 5 Personal Training sessions for $375 save $50
- 10 Personal Training sessions for $700 save $100
Conditions apply. We also have gift certificates available for Registered Massage Therapy. Speak with our front desk for more information.
fitness tip: pull-ups, chin-ups and grip variations
As you may know, a standard pull-up requires you to grip the bar with your palms facing away from you while with a chin-up your palms face towards you. Did you also know that the width of your grip will determine which muscle groups you will be working? Read more...
For instance, performing pull-ups with a narrow grip will work your arms, shoulders and chest while a wider grip tends to work your latissimus dorsi muscles - or "lats" - and back.1
nutrition tip: increase your energy
It takes a generous amount of energy to get through this busy time of year, with all of the festivities, shopping and events taking place. While your energy levels may be affected by non-dietary factors, there is no doubt that what you fuel your body with has a direct impact on your body's ability to function properly. Read more...
You can increase your energy by eating a well balanced breakfast, replacing empty calorie meals or snacks with nutritious foods (i.e. opt for natural not 'sweetened'), selecting iron-rich vegetables and of course ensuring you eat enough throughout the day.
Studio Closure: Body & Soul will be closed Saturday December 24th to Sunday January 1st for the holiday break. Studio will re-open Monday January 2nd, 2017.
Isabel Update: Former Body & Soul Personal Trainer Isabel Verse wanted to send her best to all staff and clients! She is enjoying her time back in Germany, meeting great new people, acquiring new (and re-learning old) knowledge and simply being the amazing and positive woman we all know her to be. We miss you, Isabel!
Holiday Charity: This year we will be collecting donations for the Greater Vancouver Food Bank! Please see in-studio posters, or speak with our front desk, for more information.
Healthy Holidays Workout Program: Stay active this holiday season with our Healthy Holidays 15-day workout program.