As humans we are constantly growing and learning. It’s important to realize that in life – and living – there is no failure, only feedback. At some point in your life, when it comes to achieving your health and fitness goals, you will get off track, get lost, have a setback and lose motivation. This is completely normal. The real question is what are you going to do about it?
- Remind yourself of a growth mindset. Every fall and failure can be a lesson moving forward. What can you take away from setbacks? What can you learn?
- Take a 5 minute action to get back on track (book a gym session, make a shopping list). After recognizing that you have hit a road block, it’s important to take time to reflect on what that means and what you can do to get back on track and move forward. Make one small decision – take one small action – to help you get back on track.
- Change your learning environment to reduce distractions and improve your focus. It may be that you didn’t fail, but rather your original plan didn’t consider your environment (lifestyle, work-life balance, obligations, etc.). Set yourself up for a success and make a plan that suits your needs. Don’t try to adopt a plan that requires you to make more changes than is practical.
- Get support to move forward. Having a support system (friends and family) that supports you on your journey is key to success.
- Learn from what happened. Learn, reflect and move on.
From an early age we are taught that we can do and be anything we want (with some obvious exceptions). At what point do we stop believing that anything is possible? At what point do we stop aspiring for more? Identify what motivates you and grab a hold of it. When it comes to your health and fitness, you can achieve greatness! So, what motivates you?